Wednesday, October 22, 2014

An adventurous spirit is something with which I was born, and something tells me that there's much more to come.

I'd say my life's been daring so far.

I dared to strike out alone from the age of three when I took to the meadows with the farm dogs that summer, then at the age of eight I walked the nine blocks to the Robert Packer Hospital all by myself.

The hospital was an adventure because there was an elevator that had eight floors. You could ride the elevator to the maternity ward and press your nose on the glass windows while viewing the new babies.  Then, back to riding the elevator, pressing all of the buttons until finding the morgue.

I revisited that hospital on the same walks many times over those growing up years alone in a house full of people. Finally, at the age of eleven I got off the elevator at the morgue and walked through the creepy tunnel-like hall which had giant forced air ducts lining the way overhead. Everything was painted in that then hospital sea blue/green color. I knew any further down that green painted hall and I'd find the dead bodies so I turned back and bolted for the elevator.

In my teen years I was fascinated with horses, so a girlfriend and I rode our bikes until we found a horse farm about five miles away.  We made this place our own over the next few years, working there, taking lessons, showing, and eventually helping to train.  Venturing out.  That was my thing.

Then, I married a man from Egypt and was no longer alone on my adventures.  He took me countless times to Egypt and all over the country.  We built a family villa there with his sister, where we have one flat and she also has a flat above ours.  There are two other flats in the villa as well.

At the age of 39, in the year 1999, I went to university and got a bachelor's degree in Communications and the double major included Sociology, by 2003. This was not only adventurous but eye opening. I dare say the beginning of putting my real intellectual potential to work. It was the infancy of my spiritual awakening which brought me to my current awareness. Even though right after I graduated, I suffered a decade long set-back with illness, what I gained over those years was a full and necessary evolutionary preparation.

But the biggest of the adventures was giving birth to my first child in Egypt in 1986.  This was indeed a brave thing to do. It was a rich and life enhancing experience that I wouldn't change now even if I could.

An adventurous spirit is something with which I was born, and I hope to have a few more adventures before I leave this earth.  Something tells me that there's much more to come.

With this adventurous spirit, there have been many time's I've lost my footing, but as the sign up top says, it's okay. It's all a part of what makes me who I am.  Good and bad, difficult and easy, triumphs and setbacks - all were necessary experiences to be who and what I am today.  

No comments: