Friday, January 9, 2015

Adult Children Hold the Mirror

Eldest son, Khaled, 1989
Think you're done evolving and growing..

Spend good quality time with your adult children. It is they who will challenge the bits you have left, until you gratefully see.

It's kind of like writer's block. You are at a loss for what more needs attention - what more to do.

Months go by and you are where you were months ago. You find yourself thinking... "Hmmmmm, geesh, I must be done.  I'm feeling great.  Done so much work.  Look how far I've come," as you find the recovery idling again.

Until, just like when he was a little guy like this, my son, in only the way he can, forces me to see myself.

Having come this far I am grateful, but there is more work to do.

People who love you like family, have a sweet way of communicating challenging thoughts. Those reading this that grew up in such a family, might think, "Uh, Duh, .. yeah," but for those of us for whom this whole gift of family love and community is a learned experience, it truly is cherished.











No comments: